Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Shiuli Blooms





After a sleepless rain-drenched night,

I walk this gray September dawn:

The gusts of wind shake the last drops

From the showered leaves on to me;

And from the wayside Shiuli tree

One white bud has fallen on me

Like the very breath of autumn.


It is a small thing, still breathing

Her sweet fragrance into my hands,

Just a white bloom, an orange stalk:

A tiny inch of perfection,

The first of September’s flowers

Telling me that the season of fall,

This new autumn is upon me.


I remember how much you loved it.

So I carry it in my hands

To keep by my empty bedside:

When you awake, wherever you are,

Perhaps you may find the familiar smell

And wonder from which distant tree

The wind has carried it home to you.


Diptesh Ghosh

No comments:

Post a Comment